Bitumen Standards & Grades
In different regions and countries, different Standards and Grading systems are used for determining the quality of petroleum bituminous Binders. The most recognized standards for petroleum bitumen are published by
· European Committee for Standardization (CEN)
o Deutsche Industrie Norm (DIN EN)
o Association Française de Normalisation (AFNOR – NF EN)
o BSI Standards - the UK's National Standards Body (NSB - BS EN)
· American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM)
· American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO)
· South African Standard Organization (SABS)
· Standards Australia (AS)
Most Commonly Used Bitumen Specifications
STANDARD PETROLEUM BITUMEN GRADES
· ASTM D 946 and AASHTO M 20 (Penetration @ 25°C)
· ASTM D 3381 and AASHTO M 226 (Viscosity @ 60°C)
· ASTM D 6373 and AASHTO M 320 (PG-Graded Binder)
· EN 12591 (Penetration @ 25°C) → NF EN; BS EN; DIN EN; etc.
· AS 2008 (Viscosity @ 60°C)
· SABS 307 (Penetration @ 25°C; Viscosity @ 60°C after RTFOT)
· IS 73 (India) changed in 2006 from PEN grades to VG Grades (based on Viscosity @ 60°C); however, CRMB modified bitumen is still graded based on penetration.
POLYMER MODIFIED BITUMEN
· ASTM D 5976; ASTM D 5840; ASTM D 5841 (based on polymer type; now outdated and not used in the USA, but still used in some developing countries)
· ASTM 6373 and AASHTO M 320 (PG-Graded Binder; applicable to Unmodified and Polymer Modified Bitumen)
· EN 14023 (Framework Standard for Polymer Modified Binder)
· AUSTROADS Framework Specifications (Australia)
BITUMEN EMULSIONS (ANIONIC; CATIONIC; UNMODIFIED; POLYMER MODIFIED)
· USA Anionic Emulsions: ASTM D 977 and AASHTO M 140
· USA Cationic Emulsions: ASTM D 2397 and AASHTO M 208; Polymer Modified Cationic Emulsion: AASHTO M 316
· Europe: Harmonized Framework Standard EN 13808 for Cationic Unmodified and Polymer Modified Emulsions; many different national
(Note: Internationally there exist a very broad range of emulsion specifications; many of them are technically inaccurate and confusing.)
· ASTM D 2026, D 2027 and D 2028 for Slow, Medium and Rapid Curing Cutback
· AASHTO M 81, M 82 for Rapid and Medium Curing Cutback
· EN 15522 Cutback and Fluxed Bituminous Binder
Penetration Grade Bitumen is a standard bitumen usually used as a Paving Grade Bitumen essential for road construction and for the production of asphalt pavements with superior properties, and it's very important once it bounds the aggregates and creates a unique cohesion and stability to the bituminous mix.
This grade of Bitumen is mainly used in the manufacture of hot mix asphalt for bases and wearing courses.
Penetration Grade Bitumen supplied by BITUMENSHOP is petroleum grade bitumen, manufactured from VB distillation of crude oil.
Penetration Grade bitumens are specified by the penetration and softening point test. Designation is by penetration range only. The penetration grade bitumens have a thermoplastic property which causes the material to soften at high temperatures and to harden at lower temperatures. This unique temperature/viscosity relationship is important when determining the performance parameters such as the adhesion, rheology, durability and application temperatures of bitumen.
BITUMENSHOP supplies all Penetration Graded Bitumen Grades in correspondence to ASTM D946-09 including:
ASTM D946-09 Grades:
· Bitumen Penetration Grade 40-50
· Bitumen Penetration Grade 60-70
· Bitumen Penetration Grade 85-100